Showing their passion..

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You are in my heart

I am one follower of this new TV show called "Parenthood". Being a new mom transformed me in a way that is honestly arduous to describe. It feels almost as if I was born again and put in this world to look at it with new eyes. Some of you may get a feel of what I am trying to convey :)

In any case, this show broadcasts a family with an Aspergers Syndrome son ( a high functioning autism spectrum disorder) and the many situations they have to endure day to day.
Most of my experience as a teacher in Israeli Dancing has been working with kids; together with my work as a "Play Therapist" in Argentina, I've had the challenge and joy of working with little ones dealing with different affections.

Numerous times I sat and programmed games, songs even stories to make sure every child feels included in ways we can all benefit from what each of them has to share.
I approach my teaching in Israeli Dancing for our young ones aiming to help them discover movement, melodies, rhythm, parts of their bodies. I encourage them to create in small groups, to team up and divide tasks. Imagine how many things can be done even when you can not dance! Music itself has a healing power; think of the amount of therapies that use music as part of their techniques.

I remember taking a course in "Dance Therapy" many years ago; the entire studio filled with people, many of them deaf..Believe me, the soul and motion coming out of those dancers taught me tons.

I now know as a mom,  that I am always trying to protect my daughter. When she falls I wish I could fall for her instead. Only then I see it; I understand she was brought into this world to fall and learn, to make her own mistakes, to walk life and experience it..and hopefully to have the chance to meet other children who will help her learn from what their roads taught them.

I encourage parents out there to be heart opened to all the abilities kids around you have in them. Don't guess that because they are in a wheelchair they can't dance, or that the fact they can't see will make it impossible for them to draw..Sometimes the most gifted human beings are the ones who were able to wake up their senses in ways we can't or didn't think of.

 I am leaving you with a portion of this dance I love..

God, guard the light of my eyes
Guard my children that blossom
                                 Look over them, and guard them for me
                             What is my life without them
                                      God, guard the light of my eyes........
                     ( from Ata Belibi )

No comments:

Post a Comment