Showing their passion..

Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's all about finding a fun partner.. and being one myself !

This week I was happily surprised by having different dance partners at the Monday night Israeli Dance session I attended.
I may be one of the few ones left (but correct me here) who goes to a session without knowing if I will have a partner at all; and still know that I am going to have a good time even if I only do the rest of the dances.
Anyhow; I did know this time a friend was coming and planing on doing some sets together, but the rest of got covered as well! How nice!

The interesting thing is that I am always wondering about the diverse leading styles; and being a strong leader myself, it's always fun to experience the connections (and disconnections) involved in partner dancing.
I know this is a "hot" topic between dancers; this is why I decided not to get into "technical" matters but to share mostly the thought that each of us has its own personal nature and it is undoubtedly rendered when in contact with others.
Israeli Dancing is unique in many ways; and partner dancing is no exception. We have thousands of pieces involving a wide range of styles: We do waltzes, rock'n rolls, tangos, salsas, jazz, cha chas and even some other styles we can't quite categorize.

The most important thing should be having fun, don't you think? :-) Oh! Come on Karina! As if it was that easy!! "I can't turn if you hold me so tight", "You should let me lead when you don't know what's coming", "You can't turn me twice if you don't tell me first!"..Or.."I don't really care if you mess up because that's what I do most of the time!" LOL :-)

Dancing is supposed to be the fun part of our days; the short while when we don't have to teach, manage people, sell our product, prepare dinner, finish reports..you name it.
Finding a balance with our dancing partners is as challenging as doing it in everyday life with our "real dance partners"..and dancing "life" together is a sweet endeavor :)
Even some of us long time dancers tend to forget that the reason why it all started was to feel connected to our roots, enjoy beautiful songs and meet other human beings who share our same love.

Next time you are out there in the dance floor try to relax; count how many times you laugh and not how many steps you missed..I love watching dancer's faces the most..Through the eyes you can reach the heart they say? Well..we say it in Argentina :)

Send me a glance, flow slowly,
this song is written for you

Another dance and I am alone, dance with me
You say yes, you say no, the words smash in the air
If you give me a hand I will not be alone, dance with me 
(From the dance Ze Hazman Hanachon-It's the right time)
www.hebrewsongs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment