Showing their passion..

Friday, November 5, 2010

Listen well..feel your heart that plays for you in a happy rythm

I was dancing "Tirkedi" (from Hebrew: Dance) last night at Shirley's session (thanks for the request!) and I magically went back in time to my beloved Buenos Aires and when I learned that piece.

Many people have asked me how is it that coming from Argentina I do "Israeli Dances"..
-Come on..are you sure you are not Israeli??!!

Mm..Let me think! I was around 10 and I wasn't going to any Jewish day School or Sunday School..we don't have Sunday Schools like in the U.S. ; but we do have JCCs that are very much the heart of Jewish life in Buenos Aires..They have as many programs as you can imagine..from sports to literature; from art shows to music bands for teens, from movie discussion groups to..Israeli dancing!

And yes..it so happened. My parents wanted me to have "the Jewish experience" and I started going to weekend programs that were really fun. So much so that I would later become a "madricha" or advisor as they call it here.

But one day..I went past a room which door was opened..A group of kids were playing a game to some funny music.I tilted my head so I could see more..and I saw them dancing, doing the same movements, laughing and having fun..and I think that's when my heart started playing that happy rythm!

That was it..I had so much fun! I learned tons of kids dances, I experienced my first "mayim" steps, my"cherkessias", lots of turns and hours of creating steps to fun songs. I went from dancing weekly to twice and I had such wonderful teachers from whom I learned beyond steps..
They injected me with their passion, their love and sensitivity for those lyrics, for the meaning of each tale we were dancing..and without knowing..they were planting the seeds to grow something that so far has given me the chance to open so many wonderful doors!

 Here I am teaching at Sunday School in Southern California :)
To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment