Showing their passion..

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Unity

The yoga class that I take weekly with my toddler had a "family day" due to the end of the year.
This is a program where moms and crawlers/walkers interact during one hour. The adults follow the lead of a wonderful, experienced teacher while we sing kids songs. The babies just follow what we do by copying and/or playing with lots of sized and shaped balls laid down on the floor in advance.

My daughter loves this class since day one; this is why I was very excited to bring "aba" ("dad" in Hebrew - the way she calls him ) to this event.
Luckily there were other dads who joined the afternoon which made it more fun.
The class was so well put together that it was just amazing to see how the little ones interacted, followed, laughed as well as coming to us for hugs and smiles. My daughter's excitement made her run across the room for the first ten minutes :)

The program made me realize how important it is to do things as a family. I mean besides going out on trips, running errands, going to the park..Watching our kid looking at us doing yoga, singing and moving together , having both of us connecting in a different way with her made my day. Children learn from what they experience over what we can say to them. Showing them that we care about our bodies, that we enjoy movement; dancing with them, singing together are all ways to pass health on.

Doing things as a unity gives us a sense of belonging. It conveys responsibility and support in this complex world. Positive actions lead to positive feelings; when acting with thankfulness and enjoyment we transfer those emotions to the ones around. Showing we can learn, make mistakes, fall and stand up again we are preparing our loved ones to walk life better prepared.

In Israeli Folk Dancing I see how sometimes families bring their children along and with time, patience and some luck kids take on the challenge and get into it. It is so nice to see them sharing the passion. Same in many classes at the gym where I see moms and teens sweating yet smiling at each other.
Remember: Being a role model has more value than what words can say. You can't teach something you don't do or believe in your heart. What creates a vivid impression in a child stays in him forever.
Enjoy the holidays among your loved ones!

You are in my heart,
you are the flower that smiles in my soul,
in my soul.
You flow in my blood and in every breath
And for me you will be a little one even when you grow up..
(From Ata Belibi- You are in my heart) 

No comments:

Post a Comment