Showing their passion..

Monday, December 20, 2010

A change in perspective

T'is  the season to look forward to the things we want to accomplish yet reviewing the ones we did.
My head was moving back and forth between them this morning when I read this quote from Baltasar Gracián y Morales:

"Attempt easy tasks as if they were difficult, and difficult as if they were easy; in the one case that confidence may not fall asleep, in the other that it may not be dismayed."


I got caught by it since I am the type who generally approaches hard tasks with a big amount of concern. If you can picture a serious look, frowning eyebrows and focused mind..that's me!

Have you ever felt at times like you are seeing things more complicated than they really are?  Our minds tend to wrap themselves into suppositions we make from simple situations. "What if this specific thing really means this other one?" "How is it possible to make things simple when everything is so challenging?"
We tend to forget that we need to accept the fact that often things don't have deep explanations.
There are things we just need to take the way they are, the more I look for a deeper meaning, the further away I move from understanding it.

Life is complicated per definition. It would be of great help if we can manage situations and feelings with a "hands on" look: This is what's going on, I need to do "x" to change it. If only it was easy enough!
But remember..not everything that happens to us is personal. There are moments when "it's life". We are not responsible for everything going on around us.
When we take things personally over and over again, it makes us suffer more and find more obstacles to achieve happiness.

So I am thinking that one of my goals for the upcoming year is to "attempt difficult tasks as if they were easy"; or at least easier than what they look. Maybe my 2011 will be happier after all :-) Hope yours is as well!

Let us live this day from the start
give (it) to us beginning to the end
and then you will see how I walk
the straight road and I keep on walking
and walking, and walking.
(From "Hayom Hayom"-Today)





No comments:

Post a Comment